26 September, 2017
Natural Treatment of Glaucoma
Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness in the U.S., second only to macular degeneration. It is caused by a build-up of fluid in the eye that puts pressure on the optic nerve, retina and lens. The pressure can permanently damage the eye if not treated. So today we’re talking about options for the natural treatment of glaucoma – what is good and what is harmful.
The cause of glaucoma is the accumulation of waste related to aging, high blood pressure, prescription drugs and other eye-related illnesses. Medical treatment is essential to prevent further damage.
To start to improve and prevent glaucoma try these glaucoma natural treatments.
Top Foods for Natural Treatment of Glaucoma:
- Foods high in carotenoids: Orange and yellow vegetables are critical to provide sufficient vitamin A to keep eyes healthy;
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juices: Juices will provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to keep eyes healthy;
- Blueberries and cherries: These two super fruits – cherries and blueberries – contain anthocyanidin that can help fight free radicals that damage eyes;
- Wild-caught fish: EPA/DHA fatty acids and Astaxanthin found in wild-caught salmon improve eye health;
- Brewer’s yeast: Provides chromium, a mineral that has been shown to be beneficial for people with glaucoma.
Foods to Avoid for Natural Treatment of Glaucoma:
- Food allergies: May be responsible for putting pressure on the eyes, avoid any foods that cause a reaction;
- Caffeine: Has been shown to reduce blood flow to the eyes;
- Alcohol: Liver toxicity can lead to eye problems, therefore it is best to avoid alcohol;
Sugar: Consuming foods high in sugar can cause premature aging of eyes and increase the risk of diabetes and glaucoma.
Natural Treatment of Glaucoma
Here are the top 5 natural treatments for glaucoma and remedies.
- Bilberry (160 mg 2x daily): This extract helps improve blood flow and contains flavonoids that help support eye function.
- Astaxanthin (2 mg per day) – Astaxanthin is a potent carotenoid that can help prevent retinal damage.
- Fish Oil (1,000mg daily): Aim for least 600 mg of EPA and 400 mg DHA to help relieve intraocular pressure.
- CoQ10 (300 mg daily): An antioxidant that can help prevent free radical damage to the eyes.
- Magnesium (250 mg 2x daily): Relaxes the blood vessel walls and improves blood flow.
Essential Oils for the Natural Treatment of Glaucoma:
- Frankincense oilhas been demonstrated to improve eyesight;
- Helichrysum oilimproves vision and supports nerve tissue:
- Cypress essential oil improves circulation, which can improve glaucoma.
Apply 3 drops of any of these essential oils 2x daily on cheeks and lateral eye area but do not put directly into eyes.
If you are interested in learning more about natural treatment options for glaucoma, visit our website today at www.HealingTheEye.com and then ask your doctor for a referral.